Friday, October 11, 2013

Workmate Renovation

I've had this Workmate since 2002.  It has had a part in everything I have built over the last decade.  It has endured all the projects.  It even held the Baby Q for a while.  The particle wood tops took most of the punishment.  So I had a couple leftover 2x6 pieces that were about right to replace the tops, so I thought its a good time to renovate the Workmate.
The original tops of the Workmate were particle wood, and I never liked it.  Particle wood is great for indoor furniture that never gets wet.  For a tool that lives outside?  Never.  I tried OSB (Oriented Strand Board) for exterior wall on the shed, and within five years they were trash.
Another thing I wanted to change about the Workmate is the surface area, so the replacement tops will be larger than the original tops.  Some times the Workmate gets used as a small table.
The original tops have recessed bolts, so I needed to make a relief for the head of the screws, and washers.  I used a hole saw to a specific depth, then used a chisel to clean out the holes.
There is also a half inch peg which actually anchors the top, and the screw just locks the assembly together.  I make another three sets of holes like these to mount the new tops...
Here you can see the contrast between the new and old tops.  It only takes a little water to make the particle wood come apart.  The new tops will get a sealing stain that will make them water resistant.
 ...and now we'll put it too work.



No comments:

Post a Comment