Saturday, February 27, 2021

Water Vitalizer with a new motor

 Originally my prototype Water Vitalizer was using a motor that was salvaged from a broken Ryobi drill.  It was a good use of salvage parts, but not practical in that I would have to find an obsolete Ryobi drill, and salvage the motor out of it.  So,I got an off-the-shelf surplus drill motor, and adapted it to the Water Vitalizer.  This required that I modify the mounting bolt pattern for the new motor, and modify the air vent holes in the mounting plate to accommodate the vent holes in the new motor.  So I marked up the motor mounting plate, and then used the Z.Monkey Mini Mill to modify the Motor Mounting Plate on the Water Vitalizer.

I call this process Nibbling, or making Nibbles.  There is a tool called a Nibbler, and it is different than what I am doing here.  I literally mark the plate with the areas I want to cut using a Blue Sharpie, and then use an End Mill to nibble out the areas I want to remove.  The Milling Table let me make some very precise little cuts, and I can sneak up on the patterns, or shapes I want easily.  This motor mounting plate is 1/8" aluminum, so it is relatively easy to cut.  Then after I get the new motor pattern cut into the motor mounting plate I put the Water Vitalizer back together for a test.  It's been running for a few days now, so I think I'll say it is working good...




No comments:

Post a Comment