Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Split Key

 Well, this is new for me.  This is a Flywheel Shaft Key that is split in half lengthwise.  I've never seen a failure like this before.  It was mechanically curious anyway.  The metal is not magnetic, seems relatively light weight, but doesn't scratch easily, so maybe an aluminum alloy?  I thought shaft keys were made of hardened steel.  I dunno...  This was an unusual failure...

So, anyway the mower would crank good.  It seemed to be getting compression, and spark at first, and it tried to run a little.  So, I started looking at all the areas where I have seen failures before.  I cleaned the fuel system first, and flushed out the old gas.  After the fuel system clean up I tried cranking it some more.  Now it seems like it is not getting spark.  So I inspected, and tested the ignition system.  The ignition system seems to be working, so I had to dig a little deeper.  When I removed the Starter Bell on the end of the Crankshaft I found the split key.  Then it all became clear.  It's firing, but at the wrong time, like 40 degrees late.  So, anyway, I fabricated a new, steel key, put it back together, and it runs good...

Here is a shot of the Flywheel, and the Split Key before I disassembled it.  Funny how a tiny bit of metal can cause a whole lot of work..




No comments:

Post a Comment