Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Sport Cup Holders

 In my FR-S, Ripper, the Cup Holder wound up in an unfortunate location.  The Cup Holders are where the Arm Rest should be.  They are right behind the shifter, and emergency brake, precisely in the path of my elbow when I am shifting into even gears.  Yeah, I know there is limited space in the FR-S, and they had to do what they could to get a couple Cup Holders in there.  But, yeah, not the best place.  The Cup Holders work a lot better as Coin Cups, or maybe a Cup of Chile Con Queso, LOL!

So, what to do...  What to do...  Let's fabricate some auxiliary Cup Holders.  Did you know that you can order Black PVC from Home Depot?  You can get pipe, and sheets.  So I wanted these auxiliary Cup Holders to accommodate all my needs, away from the center console.  There are pockets in the doors that will hold a bottle, but not upright, so they need sealing lids.  I usually carry water, and coffee, plus I need an ashtray.  So, we need three holders.  The diameters of the things I want to hold are all a little less than three inches.  I picked three inch inside diameter black PVC Tube.  Then to hold them all together I got a sheet of black PVC quarter inch thick.

The neat thing about PVC is that it can be glued together very effectively.  This eliminates a lot of hardware that would have potentially been there.  The PVC Tubes were cut to appropriate lengths for the things I wanted to hold, and then glued to part of the Sheet PVC.  I had to angle the water bottle a little to clear the Glove Box Door.  Then the PVC Sheet is connected to a center console panel with a couple machine screws.  The center console panel then gets connected to the center console with snap clips, four of them, and it has a secure fit.  This gets all of the things I want to hold out of the way of my elbow, yet still within a reasonable reach.  The Cup Holders only protrude into the passenger space by about four inches, so, not too bad, LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment