Sunday, April 2, 2017

South Gate Chain Gang

I replaced another fence post this weekend.  This is one of those posts that I have earmarked 'Working on the Chain Gang."  This is a fence post that has completely disintegrated below the ground, and there is nothing left to grab onto to Pull the post.

Usually my Modus Operandi is to  excavate the ground around the mushroom top of the concrete stump around a broken fence post, then drive a long Screw Eye into the remaining post to get a handle on it.  Then I can use a long lever to "Pull" the Post Stump.  Well, on this one there is no wood left, it is all rotted out.  So I have to bust the concrete stump out of the ground in little pieces.  Double Stump was like this...

This one seemed to be extra difficult, but they all seem like that when you are working on them.  I started working on this one a few weeks ago, then got distracted by other things.  I finally got back to it this weekend, and finished pulling the concrete out, widened the hole for a 6x6 Post, and got the new Post planted.  This one is the Hinge side of the South Gate.  Now it is extremely sturdy, and conversely the Latch side is extremely floppy.  The South side of the Fence is only about eight feet long, and I think I'm going to replace the whole thing.  That means I've got one more 6x6 Post, one 4x4 Post, the Gate, and the Fence Panel.  This is making me hungry...


No comments:

Post a Comment