Saturday, March 21, 2015

WOPR succeeds XPC

Ah technology, that thing we have been acclimated to adopt as literally an extension of our mind, and now find we cannot live without.  I struggled to save the XPC for months.  XPC died in early January, and I have been replacing various pieces, and parts over the last couple months.  Finally I had to accept that my XPC was dead, and I have to move on.  However the spirit (software) of XPC will live on in a new host, WOPR.  WOPR is an AMD A-10 processor with integrated Radeon Graphics Processor, a much better physical representation indeed.
I was amazed at the speed of integration.  Everything worked the first time, and installed with amazing speed.  I had none of the hassles that I had become so accustomed to.  The operating system installed in less than 30 minutes, with no driver headaches.  I was able to restore my archived data easily, and now less than 12 hours later all of my software tools are installed, and usable.  Plus they all run much faster.  I should have done this a couple years ago when XPC suffered its first hard drive crash.  The part I was most worried about was my CAD software.  I was able to install it in 15 minutes, again no driver headaches, and it ran the first time.  XPCs spirit (software) lives in WOPR now... 

No comments:

Post a Comment